On December 1st, 2018, 180 emerging leaders from the Greater Boston area participated in Learning by Giving’s Philanthropy On The Field event at Fenway Park. During the event the attendees were taught how to evaluate the impact of nonprofits, learned about the work of over 20 local nonprofits in attendance, and then utilized the LearnGive app to allocate over $100,500 to the nonprofits.
Highlights from our event included:
- The premiere of the Learning by Giving 15th anniversary video. To view the video, please click here.
- Hearing from Sam Kennedy, Boston Red Sox President & CEO, as he spoke about the various ways Fenway Park is supporting local youth in Boston;
- Learning from Rebecca Riccio, Northeastern University Professor and Director of the Social Impact Lab, as she taught the RISE Framework which is used to evaluate the impact of charities and nonprofits on a global scale;
- Listening to the conversation between Juma Crawford, Executive Director of the Lewis Family Foundation, and Robert Lewis Jr, Founder & President of The BASE, as they spoke about the various opportunities for nonprofits and funders to increase collaboration to better serve communities;
- Being heartened by the life lessons of Congressman Joe Kennedy III, Lauren Birchfield Kennedy, Colleen Richards Powell, and Alex Buffett Rozek;
- Moved by the energy and personal stories from Harold Reynolds of MLB Network;
- Taking part in thoughtful conversations between nonprofits and attendees;
- And finally, giving away real money to support important causes and improve lives.
This event would not have been made possible without the generosity of our amazing attendees, speakers, volunteers, program partners, corporate partners, in-kind donors, and of course our founder, Doris Buffett.
To view photos of the event, please click here.
About the Event
Join Doris Buffett’s Learning by Giving Foundation (LxG) and over 250 of Boston’s young professionals for the city’s first large-scale, one-day philanthropy event at Fenway Park. Over the course of one day, participants will have an introduction to LxG coursework and philosophy, hear from some of the city’s premier civic, philanthropic, and community leaders, and direct over $100,000 to high-impact, local nonprofits. Throughout the event, participants will learn how they can use their time, treasure, and talent to support nonprofits in Boston.
- Date: Saturday, December 1, 2018
- Location: Fenway Park, Boston, MA
- Time: 8:30am – 2pm (with an after-party until 4pm)
- Audience: 250 of Greater Boston’s young professionals and emerging leaders
- Impact: 21 nonprofit participants within the following impact areas: youth education and development, immigrant/women’s rights, or direct services. At the event, $100k will be directed by participants to be given in various amounts to participating nonprofits. Click here to see full list of all 21 participating nonprofits.
- 8:30am: Doors open & breakfast
- 9am: Welcome by Sam Kennedy, CEO of the Boston Red Sox
- 9:15am: LxG class by Rebecca Riccio (Director of Northeastern University’s Social Impact Lab and LxG faculty member) & Conversation with Juma Crawford and Robert Lewis Jr.
- 11:30am: Lunch and Q&A between Alex Buffett Rozek, Colleen Richards Powell, Congressman Joe Kennedy, & Lauren Birchfield Kennedy
- 12:30pm: Nonprofit showcase, grant competition and awards, and volunteer/donor interviews.
- 2pm – 4pm: Emerging Leader after-party and networking at Game On!
Tickets cost $200, of which $100 will be preloaded to your account to distribute to local nonprofits on December 1st.
To participate you must register for a LearnGive account – one ticket per person/account. By buying a ticket, you receive exclusive access to Fenway Park, a two-hour accredited course in effective philanthropy, the opportunity to hear from Boston’s leading civic, philanthropic, and corporate leaders, networking, food/drink, and the opportunity to be a part of a team that will direct $100k in grant funds to nonprofits before the end of the day!
Sponsors & Corporate Partners
Interested in becoming a sponsor? Read more here or email email@example.com